Spinal cord injuries occur when any part of the spinal cord, or the nerves located at the end of the spinal canal, are damaged. Unlike other parts of the body, the spinal cord cannot heal itself once it is damaged. The injury generally causes permanent changes to one’s stamina, physical strength, and senses, and could lead to symptoms such as impaired bowel and bladder control, and breathing and coughing issues.
Following an accident, victims of a spinal cord injury may experience severe back pain, as well as pressure in the head, neck, or back. At its most extreme, spinal cord injuries could lead to wrongful death.
Types of Spinal Cord Injury Claims
Spinal cord injury claims or lawsuits usually fall under the following categories:
- Injuries due to negligence – When a spinal cord injury is based on negligence, the plaintiff and their spinal cord injury lawyer will need to prove that the defendant was at fault and is legally responsible. This involves demonstrating duty of care and causation, as well as the gathering of evidence to bolster the claim.
- Injuries due to faulty or damaged products – If a defective product leads to a spinal cord injury, the plaintiff may be entitled to seek compensation from the designer, manufacturer, and/or seller of the shoddy product.
- Injuries due to medical malpractice – Spinal cord injuries can also occur due to negligence, surgical error, misdiagnosis, and other errors by medical staff.
Supporting Evidence Needed for Spinal Cord Injury Lawsuits
If you were the victim of a mishap that resulted in a spinal cord injury, then you have the right to seek reparation for all the damages you’ve suffered due to the other party’s negligence. You should hire a spinal cord injury lawyer in Los Angeles to obtain just recompense.
A spinal cord injury attorney can assist you in putting your claim together and presenting it either through negotiations or court litigation. You’ll also have to give your attorney the following information about the accident:
- Photos of the accident
- The defendant’s particulars, as well as that of their insurance company
- CCTV footage of the accident
- Information from eyewitnesses
- A police report
Damages Sought for Spinal Cord Injury Claims
The compensation sought in any personal injury case is designed to ensure coverage for the damages resulting from the mishap. At its most basic, this could take the form of medical bills and time missed from work. Spinal cord injury victims could also experience the following damages:
- Emotional and psychological distress
- Physical pain and suffering
- Marriage failure
- Impaired ability to enjoy life
- Present and future medical bills and therapy
Hire an Experienced Back Injury Lawyer to Obtain Fair Recompense
The most severe forms of spinal cord injury could entail hundreds of thousands of dollars, or even millions of dollars, in medical bills. To ensure that you won’t have to shoulder your own medical expenses, you’ll need to seek the help of Mesriani Law Group’s highly experienced back injury lawyers. The firm’s spinal cord injury attorneys have decades of experience representing victims of personal injury accidents in Los Angeles and California.
Don’t make the mistake of trying to negotiate your claims against the party at fault on your own. The burden will rest on you to prove your claim and you’ll have to go against insurance adjusters and lawyers who are experienced at denying insurance claims.