Every employee has the right to work in a safe, healthy, and productive environment. A...
Sexism in the workplace or gender discrimination at work happens when a man or a woman is being refused employment, job position or advancement or is otherwise mistreated or unjustly treated in the workplace because of his or her gender. At the onset, even during the interview period, if your prospective employer focuses mainly on questions relating to your gender or what you are able to contribute to the company based on your gender, then you are already being discriminated against. Similarly, once you are hired but not provided with the same opportunities for growth at work that your co-workers have because of your sex or gender, then you should complain against your employer either within your grievance machinery at work or with the proper government agency.
However, you should remember that filing a complaint and seeking damages against your employer is harder than it sounds. A lot of employees commit the mistake of trying to negotiate their gender-based discrimination cases or claims on their own. Seeking compensation against your employer on your own is ill-advised as he or she has the resources to hire defense lawyers who are more knowledgeable on gender discrimination laws to question your claim. You might also risk getting less compensation than you deserve or waiving your claims altogether if you decide to pursue your claims on your own against your employer due to your lack of knowledge on proper legal procedures.
If you are serious in protecting your rights at work and getting the best compensation you deserve, the only thing that you should do is seek help from Mesriani Law Group’s highly skilled sex, age, religious, race and pregnancy discrimination lawyers Los Angeles has to offer. These lawyers have decades of experience in pursuing discrimination claims against unjust employers throughout California
What Should You Do in Case of Gender Inequality and Sexism in the Workplace?
Gender discrimination happens when an employee is segregated or treated differently or unjustly because of his or her gender. Contrary to popular belief that only women get harassed and discriminated against, both men and women employees can experience sexism and gender inequality at work.
Reasons Why Discrimination Based on Sex and Gender Exists at Work
There are more instances of gender discrimination in the workplace compared to the number of incidents being reported. Most of the cases go unreported since the victims don’t speak up and file claims or pursue their rights to claim damages against the parties at fault.
Usually, employees are unable to claim gender discrimination compensation because:
- They don’t realize that they are being discriminated against;
- They are embarrassed to admit that they are victims of gender-based discrimination;
- They don’t know the process of pursuing their claims;
- They don’t have the resources to initiate employment cases against their employers; or
- They are afraid to experience workplace retaliation
In order for the unjust treatment of employees to stop, you must fight for your rights as a victim of gender inequality in the workplace, to send the message that it is not alright to discriminate at work, especially against employees who have less in life.
Recognize the Signs of Sex or Gender-Based Discrimination in the Workplace
There are different ways that an employee is discriminated at work based on his or her gender.
- Overt Acts – this is when your employer directly ridicules or makes fun of you or deliberately makes your life miserable because of your gender or your gender preference. Aside from your gender preference of being a man or a woman, members of the LGBT community are usually the targets of direct or overt gender-based discrimination at work.
- Covert Acts – this happens when, although your employer seems cordial with you, but he fails or refuses to provide you with the right benefits you deserve under the labor code provisions.
This is why it is vital for every employee to know the laws relating to gender or sex discrimination or harassment especially in cases where your employer is not providing you with the right compensation, as this could just be symptoms or signs of a more dastardly design of discriminating against you due to your gender preference.
Consult with Los Angeles Gender Discrimination Attorneys for Gender-Based Discrimination in the Workplace
Always remember that it is never wise to try and file a complaint on your own or pursue negotiations with your employer because your employer will always have the advantage. He has the connections and resources to hire top employment defense lawyers to protect himself from claims.
In order to be successful in claiming damages for gender-based discrimination claims, you must do the following:
- Prove first your employer-employee relationship;
- Present evidence to prove acts constituting gender discrimination in workplace environments.
- Show proof of the damages and losses you are claiming against your employer.
All the above will be of no use to you unless you seek help from gender and employment discrimination lawyers who can protect your rights and pursue your claims right away.