Employees these days tend to encounter employers who treat them unfairly more frequently. When abusers...
Electric scooters have become a popular, environment-friendly means of transportation as more companies continue to produce them to cater to commuters. But while these scooters are fun to ride and provide us with a more convenient option for getting around urban areas, they also present lots of potential risks to both riders and nearby pedestrians.
Since these electric scooters can be unstable due to their weight and provide no bodily protection whatsoever, chances of personal injuries become much higher. Additionally, since a large percentage of riders see these scooters as toys rather than as a legitimate alternative to conventional transportation, they ride these vehicles at high speeds, with some riders opting not to wear helmets and other protective gear.
These acts of negligence endanger both riders and pedestrians, as they increase the likelihood of accidents. Apart from the severe injuries and collateral property damage that are to be expected in most vehicular collisions, there have also been cases wherein scooter accident victims were pronounced dead because of the severity of the crash.
The risk of lime and bird electric scooter injuries is further increased by the unsafe practices when riding these machines. In California, electric scooter riders are required to have any class of driver’s license and must obey the same traffic and safety rules and regulations as other vehicles. By not adhering to these laws, riders run the risk of hurting themselves or causing injury, or even wrongful death, to others.
- Below is an outline of examples of what not to do while riding a scooter:
- Children riding scooters that are not designed for their age range;
- People riding scooters without wearing protective gear that is compliant with the US Department of Transportation;
- Riding a scooter without checking the safety mechanisms such as the brakes, handlebars, and battery;
- People riding scooters on rough terrain;
- Riders using scooters on sidewalks;
- Tandem riding on electric scooters;
- Scooters being driven on roads with speed limits higher than 25mph;
- Scooters being driven at speeds faster than 15mph;
- Doing dangerous stunts while riding scooters;
- Riding a scooter while intoxicated.
Types of Lime & Bird Electric Scooter Accidents
- Injury due to vehicular malfunction; even people who ride electric scooters carefully can be caught off guard and become injured (or injure someone else) if the scooter malfunctions. It can be an issue with the tires, brakes, or even the handlebars. When a malfunction occurs, the rider can lose control and fly off the machine and into the road.
- Crash due to road hazards such as fallen branches, potholes, and debris.
- Scooter crash after being chased by an off-leash dog.
- Crash while trying to avoid hitting a pedestrian, an oncoming car, or another scooter rider.
- Pedestrian is injured after getting hit by a scooter rider.
- Scooter rider is hit by a swerving car
- Motorist crashes into another vehicle while trying to avoid a scooter rider.
Pedestrian trips on a scooter that is left in front of a building or on the sidewalk.
If you are involved in an accident using an electric scooter such as a lime or bird scooter, the one who pays for your injuries and other forms of compensation will depend on who was at fault.
Below are some scenarios you can take into account when you become involved and sustain physical injuries from an electric scooter accident:
- Scooter manufacturer at fault – If a scooter malfunction caused the accident, the company who manufactured the vehicle might be liable for the damages. The problem here is that some scooter manufacturers have apps that contain a user agreement in which riders release the company from all liability in case of an accident caused by their product.
- Rider at fault for another person’s injury – The motorist may be liable if he or she hits someone while riding the scooter, or if another driver crashes as a result of an attempt to avoid hitting a negligent scooter rider.
- Business at fault for road hazards – If a scooter rider is injured because of construction material left on the roadway, or due to improperly placed signage, then the business’ insurance carrier may shoulder the damages caused by the accident.
Electric scooter accidents can cause a myriad of physical injuries. Some of them include but are not limited to the following:
- Cuts, scrapes, and bruises
- Sprained or strained limbs
- Broken bones
- Mild to severe concussions
- Neck injuries or back injuries
- Spinal cord damage
Seek Counsel From Topnotch Personal Injury Lawyers
People who fall victims to electric scooter accidents and other vehicular accidents make the mistake of pursuing their claims on their own. Doing these on your own will only put you in a distinct disadvantage given that the party at fault might have more resources than you. Scooter manufacturer companies, for example, will employ insurance adjusters as well as seasoned defense lawyers to challenge your claim. These adjusters will frustrate your claim while the defense lawyers will try and exploit technicalities or loopholes in your case to keep their clients from being held liable and paying for damages. Additionally, these factors coupled with your lack of knowledge of proper legal proceedings may end up in you waiving your claims unintentionally and getting little to no compensation at all. These circumstances make pursuing your claims alone ill-advised as it may jeopardize your claims.
To make sure that you receive just compensation for injuries resulting from electric scooter accidents, seek professional help from the personal injury lawyers at Mesriani Law Group, who have the extensive knowledge and experience needed to represent victims of such accidents. Having professional help will progress your claim in an orderly manner as well as prevent the other party from making you agree to one-sided settlements or preventing you from getting the just amount of compensation you deserve. We do not only provide personalized care to our clients but will also be relentless in our efforts to defend your rights in court. We ensure that you will have legal protection and that you will not be taken advantage of by the other party.