Electric Scooter Accident Attorney in Los Angeles
Electric scooters have become a popular means of transportation as more companies continue to produce them to cater to commuters. But while these scooters are fun to ride and provide us with a more convenient option for getting around, they also present lots of potential risks to riders and surrounding people. Due to the fact that these vehicles can be unstable and provide no bodily protection whatsoever, chances of personal injuries become much higher. Additionally, because a large percentage of riders see these scooters as toys rather than as a legitimate alternative to conventional transportation, they ride these vehicles at great speeds, with some riders opting not to wear helmets and other protective gear.
These acts of negligence endanger both riders and pedestrians, as they increase the likelihood of accidents. Apart from the serious injuries that are to be expected in most vehicular collisions, there have also been cases wherein scooter accident victims were pronounced dead because of the severity of the crash.
The risk of lime & bird electric scooter injuries is further increased by unsafe practices when riding these machines. In California, electric scooter riders are required to have any class of driver’s license and must obey the same traffic and safety laws as other vehicles. By not adhering to these laws, riders run the risk of hurting themselves or causing injury to others.
Examples of what not to do on a scooter are outlined below:
- Children riding scooters that are not designed for their age range;
- People riding scooters without wearing protective gear that is compliant with the US Department of Transportation;
- Riding a scooter without checking the brakes, handlebars, and battery;
- People riding scooters on rough terrain;
- Riders using scooters on sidewalks;
- Tandem riding on electric scooters;
- Scooters being driven on roads with speed limits higher than 25mph;
- Scooters being driven at speeds faster than 15mph;
- Doing dangerous stunts while riding scooters;
- Riding a scooter while intoxicated.
Types of Lime & Bird Electric Scooter Accidents
- Injury due to vehicular malfunction; even people who ride electric scooters carefully can be caught off guard and become injured (or injure someone else) if the scooter malfunctions. It can be an issue with the tires, brakes, or even the handlebars. When a malfunction occurs, the rider can lose control and fly off the machine and into the road.
- Crash due to road hazards such as fallen branches, potholes, and debris.
- Scooter crash after being chased by an off-leash dog.
- Crash while trying to avoid hitting a pedestrian, an oncoming car, or another scooter rider.
- Pedestrian is injured after getting hit by a scooter rider.
- Scooter rider is hit by a swerving car
- Motorist crashes into another vehicle while trying to avoid a scooter rider.
- Pedestrian trips on a scooter that is left in front of a building or on the sidewalk.
If you are involved in an accident using an electric scooter such as a lime or bird scooter, who pays for your injuries will depend on who was at fault.
Some scenarios to take into account:
- Scooter manufacturer at fault – If the accident was caused by a malfunction in the electric scooter, the company may be liable for the damages. The problem here is that some scooter manufacturers have apps that contain a user agreement in which riders release the company from all liability in case of an accident.
- Rider at fault for another person’s injury – the rider may be liable if he or she hits someone while riding the scooter, or if another driver crashes as a result of an attempt to avoid hitting a negligent scooter rider.
- Business at fault for road hazards – If a scooter rider is injured because of construction material left on the roadway, or due to improperly placed signage, then the business’ insurance carrier may shoulder the damages.
Possible Electric Scooter Crash Injuries
- Cuts, scrapes, and bruises
- Sprained or strained limbs
- Broken bones
- Mild to severe concussions
- Neck injuries or back injuries
- Spinal cord damage
Seek Counsel from Topnotch Personal Injury Lawyers
To make sure that you receive just compensation for injuries resulting from electric scooter accidents, seek professional help from the personal injury lawyers at Mesriani Law Group, who have the extensive knowledge and experience needed to represent victims of such accidents. We do not only provide personalized care to our clients, but will also be relentless in our efforts to defend your rights in court. We ensure that you will have legal protection and that you will not be taken advantage of by the other party.