What Should I Do if I Get Injured at Work?

Author: Mesriani Law Group
Posted on: December 23, 2020

Thousands of California workers get injured on the job each year. In some cases, workers sustain serious, long-lasting injuries. At worst, these work accidents even result in death.

All employees are entitled to a safe working environment. Depending on the situation, the injured victim may be entitled to compensation through worker’s compensation, a personal injury claim, or both.

Here’s what you should do if you’ve been injured on the job:

Tell Your Employer About Your Injury 

One of the first things you should do if you’ve been hurt at work is to notify your employer about your injury. Be sure to inform your immediate or a nearby supervisor as soon as possible. If you’ve been injured while off-site (for example, in a car accident for a work-related event), then call to report your injury.

In serious cases, your primary concern may be to seek medical attention. If you suffered an injury that needs immediate attention, be sure to seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Then, report your injury to your employer as soon as possible.

In California, workers must report an injury within 30 days. If you wait longer than 30 days, your employer might not be required to provide benefits such as workers’ compensation.

Seek Medical Treatment As Soon As Possible

If you need emergency medical care, paramedics will likely transport you to an emergency room. If your injury doesn’t require emergency care, then your employer may tell you where to go to get treatment.

Employers in California are required to post a notice at work to inform injured employees of the medical network that they use to treat injured workers. If you can’t find this notice, ask your supervisor or benefits department where you should seek treatment.

Employees are generally eligible to designate a physician beforehand if they have health insurance provided by the employer. So, if you have a predesignated physician, he or she may be able to treat your injury. However, the physician must agree in advance to treat you if you’ve been injured at work. 

Inform Your Primary Care Physician  

Employers are required to pay for an employee’s medical expenses for injuries sustained at work. Due to that, it’s important to inform your physician that your injury is work-related. By doing so, the physician’s office will bill your employer or employer’s workers’ compensation company. Injured employees should not receive a bill for any work-related medical treatment. 

Submit a Claim Form

Your employer must give you a claim form within one day of your injury. After completing the form, submit it to your employer as soon as possible. Your employer will also complete the form and submit it to a workers’ compensation insurance company. A workers’ compensation claims administrator will be assigned to manage your claim.

Consult with our Experienced Injury Attorney Today

No one likes getting hurt. Even worse, getting hurt at work can be complicated. Injured workers should contact a skilled work accident lawyer who will help them understand their rights and research all potential compensation for their work-related injuries. We are confident that our experienced attorneys can obtain the maximum compensation for your case and offer a “no win, no fee” guarantee. Contact Mesriani Law Group today for your free legal consultation and let us help you get the justice you deserve.